Internship / Co-op
Fixed term contract
- Class 5 Licence (Required)
- Participating in Bioscience/Agriscience degree
Full Job Description
Plant Marker Lab Coop Student
Are you looking for a great job opportunity agriscience? Do you want to work for an innovative company that will invest in your potential? Welcome to DL Seeds Inc. We continually innovate to create crop varieties that are sustainable for farmers, differential for our customers, and beneficial to consumers. DL Seeds is a plant breeding company. We service the needs of our commercial partner distributors by delivering the best genetics possible to the North American marketplace. Our growing company is searching for top talent to join our team in the role of Plant Marker Lab Coop Student for a four month term from September to December 2022 located between the communities of Winnipeg and La Salle.
Your days will include:
- To work in the molecular marker laboratory performing the execution of technologies, equipment, and protocols;
- Process, organize and summarize data using a variety of scientific, word processing, spreadsheet or statistical software applications or program platforms.
- Perform laboratory maintenance such as inventory, cleaning equipment, waste disposal
- To keep, maintain, and update detailed lab records.
- To follow and update detailed lab and safety protocols.
- To work with canola plant pathogens including duties such as culturing, inoculating and rating disease.
- To assist with indoor greenhouse phenotyping including preparing cultures and managing inventories.
- To assist with field disease phenotyping including field inoculations and ratings.
- Inventory and labeling of samples, storage and disposal, and maintenance of reagents and equipment.
- To keep, maintain, and update detailed records for all pathology programs. To maintain and update pathology log files and viability of disease sample collections.
- Media and inoculum preparation, pathogen growth, cleaning, etc.
Secondary responsibilities will be to assist with greenhouse activities, seed packaging for field nurseries, contra season material as directed by the Winnipeg Station Operations Manager
To succeed in this role, you need to be:
- Currently enrolled in a university cooperative education program
- 3rd or 4th year Biological, Microbiological, Agricultural Degree or related
- Experience in labs or agriculture is an asset
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
If you thrive on new experiences and want to be a part of a team, apply today at https://dlseeds.ca/careers/
Your Future starts here!
DL Seeds Inc. has an accommodation process for employees and candidates with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation during your interview or potential employment because of a disability, please contact 204-331-3611. An HR representative will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined based on bona fide occupational work requirements and on a case-by-case basis. Our accommodation policy can be forwarded upon request.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract, Internship / Co-op
Contract length: 4 months
Flexible language requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Winnipeg, MB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Class 5 Licence (required)